This is a very versatile recipe, so feel free to leave out those items you do not like and add other ingredients. That is the beauty of cooking…you can make the dish unique to your tastes. You can make this casserole the evening before, pull out of the frig the next morning, and heat up a piece or two to enjoy before you head off to work. This casserole is packed with protein and veggies to get your metabolism running and give you energy to start your day!
Serves: approximately 12
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and chopped *for a healthier option use turkey bacon
- 12 oz. sausage roll *for a healthier option use turkey sausage or 1 1/2 cups diced precooked ham
- 1-28 oz. package frozen cubed or shredded hash browns with pepper & onions, thawed
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, destemmed and chopped
- 1 cup fresh white mushroom pieces
- 1/2 small zucchini, seeded and diced (skin left on)
- 12 large eggs *for healthier version use 6 whole eggs/6 egg whites or the equivalent of egg substitute
- 1/2 cup whole milk (or your choice of milk—1 %, 2 %)
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Tabasco sauce
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9 x 13-inch baking dish with butter. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned, crumbling it with a spatula as it cooks. Add hash browns, sausage or ham, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, and cheese together and toss to combine. Put mixture into baking dish. In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk until completely combined. Pour the egg mixture over the hash brown mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little before cutting. Serve warm. Sprinkle tabasco sauce over individual slice if you want to kick it up a notch!