This casserole brings back such fond memories of my childhood when grandma would make this scrumptious dish. If you like mac n cheese, you will enjoy the flavorful taste from the peppers and pimentos as well as the crunch from the water chestnuts. Hope your taste buds are delighted with this unique recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes *Requires refrigeration over night*
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 7 oz. elbow macaroni (uncooked) *for a healthier option use veggie or bean/protein pasta
- 1-8oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup *for a healthier option use reduced sodium or heart healthy soup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 small sweet onion, minced (may want to only use ½ of the onion depending on your tastes)
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 4 oz. pimentos, diced
- 6 oz. water chestnuts, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 8 slices of whole wheat, whole grain or reduced calorie bread
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. butter
Mix all ingredients and put in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Before baking, in a skillet melt the butter. Take the bread slices and tear into small bite-size pieces and add to melting butter. Stir so all breadcrumbs are coated with butter. Note: Add more butter as needed so all pieces are coated. Put the buttered breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.